Before you leave:
- Post Office: Give forwarding address.
- Charge accounts, credit cards.
- Subscriptions: Notice requires several weeks.
- Cancel any automatic payment or direct deposit arrangements.
- Notify company of new location for coverages: life, health, fire & auto.
- Gas, electricity, water, telephone, fuel, garbage & cable TV. Get refunds on any deposits made.
- Laundry, newspaper; change-over of services.
- Register in school.
- Arrange for day care.
Medical, Dental, Prescription Histories
- Ask doctor and dentist for referrals; transfer needed prescriptions, eyeglasses, X-rays. Obtain birth records, medical records, etc.
- Consult a vet about moving your pet.
And Don’t Forget To:
- Empty freezer; plan use of food.
- Defrost freezer and clean refrigerator.
- Have appliances serviced for moving.
- Clean rugs and clothing before moving.
- Clean and/or repair furniture and curtains.
- Plan for special care needs for your infants and pets.
- Assemble first day items—soap, toilet paper, pencils, paper, toiletries, bath towels, utility knife, scissors, trash bags,etc.
- Obtain relocation package from real estate agent or Chamber of Commerce in your new city.
- Arrange for storage (if needed.)
- Find out about tax-deductible moving expenses.
- Assemble packing materials.
- Have car checked and serviced for the trip.
Pack a day or two worth of extra clothing in case of delay.
And On Moving Day:
- Make a list of every item and box loaded onto the truck.
- Carry enough cash or travelers checks to cover cost of moving services and expenses.
- Carry jewelry and documents yourself or use registered mail.
- Carry an assortment of toys for the children (if needed).
- Let a close friend or relative know route and schedule you will travel including overnight stops.
- Double check closets & drawers to make sure they are empty.
- Turn off all appliances and lock all doors.
- all old keys needed by new owner with Realtor® or neighbor.
- Let the movers know where you can be reached.
And At Your New Address:
- Check off all boxes and items as they come off the truck.
- Install new locks.
- Check on service of gas, electricity, water, telephone, garbage and cable TV.
- Check pilot light on stove, hot water heater and furnace.
- Have appliances checked.
- Ask mail carrier for mail he or she may be holding for you.
- Apply for state driver’s license (or just address changes if needed).
- Visit city offices and register for voting.
- Register car within five (5) days after arrival in state or a penalty may have to be paid when getting new license plates.
- Obtain inspection sticker and transfer motor club membership.
- Arrange for medical services: doctor, dentist, veterinarian, etc